by: Rehtafeht Johannus Lihp, Guest Editor
The courier service industry relies on service quality to lead a consumer to satisfaction. Beyond availability and quality of service, what are the determining factors of success? Variables such as 1) Timeliness, 2) Quality/Relevance of information Provided by Courier, 3) Condition/Accuracy of delivery order, and the 4) Availability/Quality of Courier Personnel are the focus of Today’s successful analysts.
A 35 item questionnaire was utilized in Malaysian study that employs a four-point Likert scale with anchors ranging from ‘strongly disagree’ to ‘strongly agree’. This model was chosen as it helped in eliminating the ‘neither/nor’ position, where it was found that without such position, survey respondents exhibit a tendency in choosing a negative scale which helps in getting a more accurate set of responses. The Logistic Service Quality, or LSQ, gaged the four main variables listed above in their relation to customer satisfaction. “Respondents for this study are comprised of 51% female and 49% male. Majority, the respondent came from students (71%), where the rest are employed (29%). As the study focuses on courier services provided in Malaysia, there are more Malaysian respondents (64.5%) compare to non-Malaysian who live in Malaysia (35.5%%). A good number of respondents are at undergraduate level (77.5%), alongside with respondents that are at Diploma level (12%), Postgraduate (8.5%), and others level of education such as Pre-University and A-levels (2.5%).”, (Sze Yin Ho, 2012).
This study aims to examine the aspects in service quality that contribute to customers’ satisfaction in the logistic service industry of Malaysia. The study was based on the SERVQUAL model, because the model fits this area of interest. This model was developed to analyze the service quality provided by firms in the industry and the model separates the differences between expected and perceived quality. Based on customer value theory, the study developed four hypothetical variable measures: H1: Timeliness, H2: Condition and accuracy of order, H3: Quality of information, and H4: Availability/Quality of personnel. This model used in the Malaysian business analysis ranked preferences and satisfaction claims of the respondents toward specified courier services providers. There were 200 respondents. 41 percent of the survey respondents chose the Malaysian firm, Pos Laju, as their preferred provider in courier services. “Even though Pos Laju was the most popular choice but it only stands at 2.95 out of 4 in Likert Scale in terms of customer satisfaction, which is lower than the satisfaction level towards FedEx and DHL, which stands at 3.204 and 3.13 out of 4 respectively.”, (Sze Yin Ho, 2012). According to this survey results, FedEx customers experience the highest level of satisfaction in comparison with other providers.
- Sze Yin Ho, J., Ong Lai Teik, D., Tiffany, F., Fatt Kok, L., Yang The, T. (2012), Logistic Service Quality among Courier Services in Malaysia, International Conference on Economics IPEDR vol.38 (2012), (http://www.ipedr.com/vol38/023-ICEBI2012-A10013.pdf)
- Render, B., Stair, JR., R., Hanna, M., Hale, T., (2015) Quantitative Analysis for Management (12th edition)